Over the summer, the ITS department (computer people) were busy updating technologies that will help you succeed. Visit and bookmark our blog itsnews.widener.edu, as new valuable information is frequently posted. Check out the latest below!
Five web links to help start your semester!
• Wireless access
• Email access
• Getting started with Office 365
• FREE Office 2016 download
• FREE access to LinkedIn Learning
Contact us with any questions or issues.
Submit a ticket! Go to QuickTicket.widener.edu
Call us! (610) 499-1047
Visit the Student Technical Support Center (STSC)
Located on the Main Level of Wolfgram Library
Get connected to Widener’s network. For security reasons, Widener University has implemented a solution to protect your electronic devices from other devices that might not be secure. Every device you connect to the Wireless Network or Residence Hall Wired Network must be registered for compliance purposes.
Steps to register your device
- Connect to the wireless SSID “wudorm” or “widener”, if you choose to connect via Ethernet cable you will need to put in a port request. (http://portrequest.widener.edu)
- Open your internet browser and try to go to a website such as yahoo.com.
- Follow the on screen instructions to register your device.
Device Registration Requirement Information:
- All Microsoft Windows based Desktops and Laptops (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10) are required to have up to date operating system patches (Windows Updates) and an up to date Anti-Virus program (free or subscription) not provided from the University. A persistent agent is required to be downloaded and installed in order to stay in compliance on the network. It will prompt you for your Widener Login Username and password, then it will scan for your operating system patches and verify an up to date Anti-Virus.
- Phones & Apple Products (MacBook, iMac, iPad, iPhone), Non-Windows Tablets, eReaders will only require your Widener Login username and password to register on the network.
- Most Gaming Devices (PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo products), Smart TV’s, and Streaming Devices (Apple TV, Amazon Firestick/TV, Echo, Roku) will be automatically registered on the network. Please connect them via ethernet cable or on the wireless SSID “WUDorm” and they will take up to 15 minutes to move from the registration network to the production network. If you still have issues connecting after patiently waiting, please reboot your device and see if it properly connects. If it still does not connect, please locate your MAC address for your device and open a support ticket by contacting the ITS HelpDesk at 610-499-1047 OR Submit a support ticket at http://QUICKticket.widener.edu
*PLEASE NOTE: Wireless printing in the residence halls is allowed, but we recommend securing them with a passcode to print (see your printer manufacturers’ instructions to setup). Otherwise; connect your printer via usb cable. CHROMECAST is designed to work in a home environment and given the size and complexity of our network, it will NOT work on Widener’s Network. WE DO NOT ALLOW PERSONAL WIRELESS ROUTERS ON WIDENER’S NETWORK. Not all SMART PLUGS AND LIGHTS are designed for enterprise network environments; therefore they may not work properly on our network. But we will work with you to get these devices securely on the network if possible.
Reporting Wireless Issues of registered devices:
We are always looking to improve our wireless network and with your help, we can make it better. In order to fix the issue, we need to know about it. Now you can quickly report the issue to us.
By going to My.Widener.edu and searching WiFi, you will find the link to FixMyWiFi.widener.edu where you can submit a ticket reporting the issue directly to the group that manages this environment. We want to make your wireless experience an enjoyable one, not a stressful one.
*For additional assistance, please visit the Student Technology Support Center. The Student Technology Support Center (STSC) is a walk-in support center where students can go for assistance with their computers and hand-held devices. The STSC is now located on the main floor of the Wolfgram Memorial Library on the Chester Campus. You may also visit the ITS HelpDesk located on the 2nd floor of Academic Center North (ACN) Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm excluding holidays.