Every year, the National Cyber Security Alliance designates this month of October to remind us: STOP. THINK. CONNECT.™
The “bad guys” are always changing their tactics, and trying every way they can – phishing emails, ads on websites, even texts on our smartphones – to trick us. Keeping up a layered defense is our best approach. There are three main messages :
- Never Click and Tell: staying safe on social media
- Update Privacy Settings on your phone and on social
- Keep Tabs on Your Apps: best practices for apps on your devices
- Shake Up Your Passphrase Protocol: create strong, unique passphrases
- Double Your Login Protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop Safe Online: making sure your purchases are secure
- Play Hard To Get With Strangers: how to spot and avoid phish
- If You Connect, You Must Protect: updating to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay Protected While Connected: Wi-Fi safety
- If You Collect It, Protect It: keeping personal information safe
In the upcoming weeks, stay on the lookout here and in the myWidener Portal where we will periodically post throughout the month and explore these concepts. If you ever have a question about an email, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call the Helpdesk at x1047, or email at email@example.com.
Happy October, and safe computing!