Navigate to Announcements in the course menu, and then click on +Announcement to create and post an announcement. Students will be notified about the announcement based on their individual Notification Preferences. This link describes how Announcements work in Canvas: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Announcements.
How can I send a message to students in Canvas?
To send messages to students in Canvas, you can use Canvas’s Conversations tool (labeled Inbox). You can send messages to your entire class or to specific individuals. To access the Conversations tool, click on Inbox in the Global Navigation menu (the purple menu on the far left-hand side). For more information, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Conversations.
Is there a way for students to sign up for conferences or appointments with Canvas?
Yes. Canvas’s Scheduler tool allows you to create appointment groups within a course or group. Students can then sign up for a time slot. You can elect to allow individuals or groups to sign up for appointments. For more details on how to use Scheduler to set up meeting times, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2640 .
Why am I not receiving notifications or Canvas conversations in my Widener e-mail?
- If you are not receiving e-mails from Canvas to your Widener e-mail, you will need to review your user notification settings. Please review the “Ways to Contact” and look for communication warnings. Also, be sure to review your notification settings so that you ensure conversations are set to your preferred time frame. For issues with your email, contact the Helpdesk via x1047 or http://quickticket.widener.edu/
- Visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1286 for notification settings information.
- If you wish to receive confirmation of the messages you send, navigate to Account → Notifications and ensure that “Announcement Created by You” and “Conversations Created by Me” are set with the checkmark to be notified right away.
Why are my students not receiving notifications or Canvas conversations in their Widener e-mail?
- Is the course published? Conversations and announcements will only be sent to students after a course is published.
- Now, even if you publish the course, your students will not be able to access the content if you designate a start date, however, they will receive email messages when you send a conversation or announcement based on the default notification settings in Canvas.
- Students may have unintentionally filtered/deleted emails. Please contact the Helpdesk to resolve at x1047 or http://quickticket.widener.edu/