Navigate to Attendance in the course menu. This will open the Roll Call Attendance Tool in Canvas. For answers to common questions regarding the use of the Attendance Roll Call tool: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Attendance_Roll_Call.
Not yet, but we hope to have this feature in the future.
To create a new assignment, navigate to Assignments on the course menu. Click +Assignment at the top of the page. For more information on creating and editing assignments in Canvas, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Assignments.
Canvas has a Differentiated Assignments feature that allows you to set up different due dates and times. For more information on this feature and how to use it for different types of assignments, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2630.
Turnitin is NOT the default assignment submission type in Canvas. To create a Turnitin assignment, click on Assignments in the course menu and click on +Assignment (at the top of the page). In the Submission Type drop-down menu, choose External Tool. Type Turnitin in the search field and click Find. For more information on creating Turnitin assignments in Canvas, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1799. For information on grading Turnitin assignments in Canvas, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2860.
- Surveys, Quizzes and Exams are all created using the Quizzes feature. To create an exam or quiz, navigate to Quizzes on the course menu. Then, click on +Quiz at the top of the page on the right-hand side. For more details on creating quizzes, modifying quiz settings, and grading quizzes, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Quizzes.
- If you plan on re-using questions (such as in a quiz and then again as a later assessment), you may wish to consider using Question Banks. This feature is also useful if you want to randomly pull a set of questions from a larger group. For more information on Questions Banks, visit https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/50747-how-do-i-create-a-question-bank-in-my-course
- Once you create a Question Bank, you’ll need to create a quiz that pulls questions from the Question Bank. For more information on this step, visit https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/98626-how-do-i-create-a-quiz-with-a-question-group-linked-to-a-question-bank.
- The Discussions link is in the course menu. Click on +Discussions at the top of the page to get started. If you would like more information on how to create discussions, go to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1977.
- To pin a Discussion so that it always appears at the top, drag and drop the discussion up to the box “pinned discussions” or use the 3-dot menu link on the far right of the discussion and select “Pin”. For more information on pinning: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2717.
- You will be automatically subscribed to the discussion threads that you create as an instructor, and you’ll be notified when new comments are posted. To unsubscribe or subscribe to a discussion, navigate to a specific discussion title and click Subscribe. Go to this link to view the specific steps you can take to subscribe or unsubscribe from a discussion: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2799.
- You can adjust where and how frequently you receive notifications. For more information, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1286.
- Groups in Canvas are a collaborative tool where students can work together on group projects and assignments. To create a group assignment, navigate to Assignments in the course menu. Click on +Assignment, then under the section “Group Assignment,” check the box next to “This is a group assignment.” For more details, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2652
- To learn how to create groups within Canvas: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1946.
Canvas features an O365 integration that allows users to work together on the same document at the same time. Collaborative documents are saved in real-time, and changes made by users will be immediately visible to everyone. To begin a new Collaboration, click on Collaborations in the course navigation menu, then follow the on-screen prompts to set up the document and add users. For more information on using Collaborations in your course, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2627.
- Peer Review assignments give students the opportunity to provide feedback on another students’ work.
- How to create a Peer Review assignment: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2663.
- General information Peer Review assignments: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2656.
- To grade peer reviews, you will need to create a “No Submission” assignment in your Gradebook and assign points to the Peer Review assignment manually. Visit this link and read the subsection “Peer Review Grades” for more details: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2656.