To award extra credit, you can create a new assignment that doesn’t require a submission. You can also add extra points to an existing assignment, add fudge points to a quiz, or create extra credit within a rubric. This link explains how to use each of these options: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2874.
You cannot create a new gradebook column directly from the Gradebook in Canvas: all gradebook columns must have a corresponding assignment in Canvas. If you want to create a column in which you can record scores from manual grading, you can create a No Submission or On Paper assignment. Navigate to Assignments in the course menu and click +Assignment. Then, in the Submission Type drop-down menu, select No Submission or On Paper. For more information, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4272.
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook. You can upload information for existing assignments, or you can also use a CSV file to create new assignments in the Gradebook. New assignments will automatically be published in your course. If you do not know how to save a file in a CSV format, please check the documentation for the program you are using to create your Gradebook changes (e.g., Excel). If you don’t want to create a new CSV file, you can always download the CSV from Canvas, change it, and re-upload the same file and the changes you made will appear in Canvas once you re-upload the CSV file. For more information on importing items into the Canvas gradebook, visit https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/55013-how-do-i-upload-changes-to-the-gradebook.
You can export scores from the Gradebook and download them to your computer as a CSV file. At the time of export, the CSV file data matches the current filter(s) and settings shown in the Gradebook. For more information on downloading and exporting the Canvas gradebook, visit https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/55012-how-do-i-download-scores-from-the-gradebook.
Navigate to Announcements in the course menu, and then click on +Announcement to create and post an announcement. Students will be notified about the announcement based on their individual Notification Preferences. This link describes how Announcements work in Canvas: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Announcements.
To send messages to students in Canvas, you can use Canvas’s Conversations tool (labeled Inbox). You can send messages to your entire class or to specific individuals. To access the Conversations tool, click on Inbox in the Global Navigation menu (the purple menu on the far left-hand side). For more information, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131#jive_content_id_Conversations.
Yes. Canvas’s Scheduler tool allows you to create appointment groups within a course or group. Students can then sign up for a time slot. You can elect to allow individuals or groups to sign up for appointments. For more details on how to use Scheduler to set up meeting times, visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2640 .
- If you are not receiving e-mails from Canvas to your Widener e-mail, you will need to review your user notification settings. Please review the “Ways to Contact” and look for communication warnings. Also, be sure to review your notification settings so that you ensure conversations are set to your preferred time frame. For issues with your email, contact the Helpdesk via x1047 or http://quickticket.widener.edu/
- Visit https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1286 for notification settings information.
- If you wish to receive confirmation of the messages you send, navigate to Account → Notifications and ensure that “Announcement Created by You” and “Conversations Created by Me” are set with the checkmark to be notified right away.
- Is the course published? Conversations and announcements will only be sent to students after a course is published.
- Now, even if you publish the course, your students will not be able to access the content if you designate a start date, however, they will receive email messages when you send a conversation or announcement based on the default notification settings in Canvas.
- Students may have unintentionally filtered/deleted emails. Please contact the Helpdesk to resolve at x1047 or http://quickticket.widener.edu/
You can’t rename items in the course navigation menu, but you can reorder and hide links. This link has more details: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2555.