Every year, the National Cyber Security Alliance designates the month of October to remind us: STOP. THINK. CONNECT.™ With phishing threats and online scams already in full swing, it’s more important than ever to stay alert and show #cyberpride. This year, there are three main messages for the month:
- Never Click and Tell: staying safe on social media
- Update Privacy Settings on your phone and on social
- Keep Tabs on Your Apps: best practices for apps on your devices
- Shake Up Your Passphrase Protocol: create strong, unique passphrases
- Double Your Login Protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop Safe Online: making sure your purchases are secure
- Play Hard To Get With Strangers: how to spot and avoid phish
- If You Connect, You Must Protect: updating to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay Protected While Connected: Wi-Fi safety
- If You Collect It, Protect It: keeping personal information safe
In the upcoming weeks, we’ll explore each of these these further. The bad guys are always changing their tactics, and trying every way they can – phishing emails, ads on websites, even texts on our smartphones – to trick us. Keeping up a layered defense is our best approach.
If you ever have a question about an email, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call the Helpdesk at x1047, or email at email@example.com. And be sure to follow us on Twitter at @WidenerISO. Happy October, and safe computing!